Please click here for a brochure.
Please support In Praise of Music (IPOM) and our presenters by attending our performances, spreading the word about our activities, and sending gifts to our presenters designated for the hiring of professional instrumentalists. Note, please that a few of the listed events are private. We include them in the list so that you can see the variety of things we are doing.
The musicians of IPOM understand that you may not be able to attend our performances; we simply want to share the variety and number of engagements we have developed for ourselves and our communities.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra Strings kicked off the holiday season with Handel’s Messiah, an annual Thomson tradition (this was the 25th year for most of the orchestra!) with the Thomson McDuffie Choral Society (Mark Bowers, Director) at First Baptist Church, Thomson, GA.
- In Praise of Music string players performed for private weddings and receptions at Grace Baptist in Evans and the Augusta Museum of History
- The Magellan String Quartet performed at Aldersgate Methodist Church (Linda Bradberry, director) at 8:45 and 11:00 am.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra and members of Custer’s Last Band performed Appalachian Winter with Martinez United Methodist Church choir (Nancy Cleveland, Director) at 11:00 am.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra performed with the choir of
Aiken, SC, First Baptist Church (James Bennett, director)
at 11:00 am.
- Event Horizons performed their Sounds and Songs of the Season program on the Music at the Morris Museum concert series at 2:00 pm.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra performed with the First Baptist Church of Augusta Orchestra and Choir (Les Reagan, Director) at 6:30 pm.
- Duo Intermezzo performs for the CSRA Medical Manager’s association Holiday Luncheon (private event).
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra is featured with The Augusta Choral Society (Porter Stokes, Director) at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Augusta, GA, at 7:30 pm.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra Strings perform with the Warren Baptist Church Orchestra and Choir (Kevin Pollock, Director)
- 9:15 am prelude and service
- 10:45 am prelude and service
- In Praise of Music musicians, including members of Custer’s Last Band, perform An Appalachian Winter with the Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church Choir (Grovetown GA), Sonny Sellers, Director at 8:30 and 11:00 am.
- Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra Strings perform with the Trinity on the Hill Methodist Church Choir and Orchestra (Danny Key, director) at 8:30 and 11:00 am.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra performs
Schubert Magnificat with the Christ Church Presbyterian (Evans) Choir (Mark Nabholz, Director) at 6:00 pm.
- The Kiokee String Quintet performs with the First Baptist Church, Swainsboro, GA, Choir and Orchestra (Gilbert Westberry, director) at the 6:00 pm service.
- The Magellan String Quartet performs with the Reid Memorial Presbyterian Choir (Richard Cook, director) at the 6:45 pm prelude and the 7:30 pm service.
- Mood Indigo (Rob Foster Trio) performs a private Holiday Banquet at First Bapitst, Aiken, SC, in the evening.
- Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra and Continuo Collective of the South perform with the Cecilia Ensemble (Darkness and Light; Music for Advent and Christmas) at Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church at 8:00 pm.
- Duo and Trio Intermezzo will perform weddings at Warren and First Baptist Churches.
- In Praise of Music String Quartet will perform with the Sandersville, GA, United Methodist Church Choir (Shane McDonald, director). Faure Cantique de Jean Racine and Vivaldi Gloria at 11:00 am.
- The Magellan String Quartet will perform with the
Aiken First Presbyterian Choir (Ken Courtney, Director) at the 8:45 and 11:00 am services.
- The Magellan String Quartet and Quintet will perform at First Baptist Church, Augusta, GA, at 5:00 pm.
- The Kiokee String Quintet will perform with the Warren Baptist Church choir (Kevin Pollock, director)
- 3:40 pm Prelude, 4:00 pm Service
5:15 pm Prelude, 5:30 pm Service
- 3:40 pm Prelude, 4:00 pm Service
- In Praise of Music Violinist and Cellist Laura Tomlin and Chris Connolly will perform with pianist Brent Odom at Grace Baptist Church in Evans
- 4:15 pm Prelude, 4:30 pm Service
- 5:45 pm Prelude, 6:00 pm Service
- The Magellan String Quartet will perform at the Church of the Good Shepherd at 9:30 pm.
Tuesday Music Live
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Augusta, GA
November 5, 2013, 12:00 noon
Jennifer Parker: Violin, Mandolin, Guitar, Vocals
Carl Purdy: Violin, Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Border Pipes, Vocals
Travis Shaw: Double Bass, Vocals
Program will include:
J. S. Bach Double Violin Concerto: arranged for Violin and Mandolin by Carl Purdy
Wild Mountain Thyme (Irish Traditional)
Doud’s Favorite/The Ten Pound Float/The Morning Dew (Irish Traditional)
The Wee Weaver (Irish Traditional)
Over the Waterfall/Cuckoo’s Nest (Traditional Old Time Bluegrass)
That’s a Plenty – Lew Pollack (Arranged by Carl Purdy)