Please click here to read the 2013 Fall/Winter newsletter.
Correction: Please note that the Magellan String Quartet and Quintet will perform on December 24, 5:00 pm, at First Baptist Church, not December 22, as stated in the newsletter.
Darkness and Light: Music for Advent and Christmas
December 20, 8:00 pm
The Continuo Collective, Lyra Vivace and The Cecilia Ensemble
Lyra Vivace, the Continuo Collective of the South and the Cecilia Ensemble are joining for one evening to perform a holiday concert at Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church (2261 Walton Way, Augusta, GA, 30904). Admission for this event is free of charge! We do not utilize corporate sponsorships to fund our events – we rely on the community to support the art that you enjoy. Please take a moment to make a small contribution – your contribution will go directly to the musicians’ paychecks and equipment. Thank you for supporting the culture and art of the CSRA region!
|O magnum mysterium
||Tomás Luis de Victoria
|Missa o magnum mysterium
|Domine Deus (from Mass in B Minor)
|The Messiah Recitative and Aria
||G. F. Handel
|For behold! Darkness shall cover the earth;
The people that walked in darkness
|Wachet auf (in three settings)
||Felix Mendelssohn/Michael Praetorius/J.S.Bach
|Veni, veni, Emanuel
||13th Century Antiphon
|Para dar luz inmortal
|Verbum caro factum est
|Serenissima una noche
||Fray Gerónimo González
|Away in the manger
||arr. Ola Gjeilo
|Angels we have heard on high
||arr. Stephen Paulus
||arr. Malcolm Sargeant
Please support In Praise of Music (IPOM) and our presenters by attending our performances, spreading the word about our activities, and sending gifts to our presenters designated for the hiring of professional instrumentalists. Note, please that a few of the listed events are private. We include them in the list so that you can see the variety of things we are doing.
The musicians of IPOM understand that you may not be able to attend our performances; we simply want to share the variety and number of engagements we have developed for ourselves and our communities.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra Strings kicked off the holiday season with Handel’s Messiah, an annual Thomson tradition (this was the 25th year for most of the orchestra!) with the Thomson McDuffie Choral Society (Mark Bowers, Director) at First Baptist Church, Thomson, GA.
- In Praise of Music string players performed for private weddings and receptions at Grace Baptist in Evans and the Augusta Museum of History
- Duo Intermezzo performs for the CSRA Medical Manager’s association Holiday Luncheon (private event).
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra Strings perform with the Warren Baptist Church Orchestra and Choir (Kevin Pollock, Director)
- 9:15 am prelude and service
- 10:45 am prelude and service
- In Praise of Music musicians, including members of Custer’s Last Band, perform An Appalachian Winter with the Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church Choir (Grovetown GA), Sonny Sellers, Director at 8:30 and 11:00 am.
- Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra Strings perform with the Trinity on the Hill Methodist Church Choir and Orchestra (Danny Key, director) at 8:30 and 11:00 am.
- The Lyra Vivace Chamber Orchestra performs
Schubert Magnificat with the Christ Church Presbyterian (Evans) Choir (Mark Nabholz, Director) at 6:00 pm.
- The Kiokee String Quintet performs with the First Baptist Church, Swainsboro, GA, Choir and Orchestra (Gilbert Westberry, director) at the 6:00 pm service.
- The Magellan String Quartet performs with the Reid Memorial Presbyterian Choir (Richard Cook, director) at the 6:45 pm prelude and the 7:30 pm service.
- Mood Indigo (Rob Foster Trio) performs a private Holiday Banquet at First Bapitst, Aiken, SC, in the evening.
- In Praise of Music String Quartet will perform with the Sandersville, GA, United Methodist Church Choir (Shane McDonald, director). Faure Cantique de Jean Racine and Vivaldi Gloria at 11:00 am.
- The Magellan String Quartet will perform with the
Aiken First Presbyterian Choir (Ken Courtney, Director) at the 8:45 and 11:00 am services.
- The Magellan String Quartet and Quintet will perform at First Baptist Church, Augusta, GA, at 5:00 pm.
- The Kiokee String Quintet will perform with the Warren Baptist Church choir (Kevin Pollock, director)
- 3:40 pm Prelude, 4:00 pm Service
5:15 pm Prelude, 5:30 pm Service
- In Praise of Music Violinist and Cellist Laura Tomlin and Chris Connolly will perform with pianist Brent Odom at Grace Baptist Church in Evans
- 4:15 pm Prelude, 4:30 pm Service
- 5:45 pm Prelude, 6:00 pm Service
- The Magellan String Quartet will perform at the Church of the Good Shepherd at 9:30 pm.